Alex Ross My guest is New Yorker music critic, award-winning and best-selling author of The Rest Is Noise: Listening to the Twentieth Century, MacArthur Fellow, and music weblog pioneer with therestisnoise.com, Mr. Alex Ross, discussing his new book of essays and profiles, Listen To This. From bass lines to Björk, Marian Anderson to Radiohead, Bob more…
Select a Date
|« Oct||Dec »|
Archive for November 12, 2012
Monday, November 12, 2012 by Matt DeStefano
Wednesday, July 30, 2014 at 10:00 am - Groucho #1 (Rebroadcast)
Critic’s Choice is a weekly feature in which WFMT’s Critic-at-Large Andrew Patner shares his observations on arts and culture, from performances at Orchestra Hall to happenings in overlooked Chicago neighborhoods to festivals around the world.
Andrew’s 2005 interview with Studs Terkel
Studs discusses his book AND THEY ALL SANG: Adventures of an Eclectic Disc Jockey.
"It is the only interview that I know of done with Studs where he discusses in detail his passion for opera and opera singers including Rosa Raisa, Lotte Lehmann, and "his" diva, Claudia Muzio. Studs also talks about his disc jockey days in general and the music editions of The Best of Studs Terkel on WFMT. We play opera scenes with Raisa, Lehmann, Muzio, and a song by Woody Guthrie as well." -Andrew
To download an MP3 file of this interview, right-click on link below (Mac users control-click).
Music [Mostly] Blogs
- Alex Ross: The Rest Is Noise
- Brian Dickie: Life after 50 years in opera and still counting......
- Bryant Manning: Mysteries Abysmal
- Detritus Review, The: Empiricus and Sator Arepo
- eighth blackbird: thirteen ways
- Gavin Plumley: Entartete Musik
- Jens F. Laurson: WETA-FM
- John Gibbons: Holde Kunst
- Joshua Kosman: On a Pacific Aisle
- Marc Geelhoed: Deceptively Simple
- Nico Muhly
- Opera Chic
- Opéra Chanteuse
- Russell Platt: Goings On
- Steve Smith: Night After Night
- Timothy Andres
- Tonic Blotter
- wellsung: Alex and Jonathan